Postcards from The World

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Pushkar


I was just browsing through one of my recent photo albums and I chanced upon the pictures I had taken when I visited Rajasthan last October. I was in Rajasthan for a dear friends wedding and he forced me to stay back for what was considered one of their grandest festivals, the Pushkar Camel Fair!!

The Pushkar camel fair falls between 2nd November and 5th November. Ok, I know what you’re thinking.. what’s the big deal about camels anyway?? And what do you see in a camel fair?? Don’t get me wrong.. it not like a pet show or something, where you have camels lined up for tricks n stuff (although that would have been sooo cool!!), but, here’s the thing…It’s camel man!!! Have you ever seen a camel up close??.. even if u have, you ain’t ever seen them like this!!! All decked up and almost ready to do a jig of some sort!! And I’m not talking about just 1 single camel… millions of them!!!(I think I saw more camels then people there).. the sight is just amazing!!

This festival takes place in a village called Pushkar, a normally quiet and small village, does not have a great number of hotels, several entities set up tented camps surrounding Pushkar . . I highly recommend the tented camp, Raj Resorts, which may be booked through Rajasthan Tours (rajtours@sancharnet.in). Very comfortable spacious tents, isisal carpets, with a private bathroom attached to your tent with running water, camp beds with sheets and blankets, laundry services, evening Rajasthani entertainment by a campfire, lock boxes for valuables, and a good fare of vegetarian cuisine . . . (due to the Hindu festival that takes place, no alcohol or meat . . only vegetarian cuisine), extremely helpful staff . . . a well organized camp.

You know what the best part was?? It was seeing Marwar breed of horses making a genetic comeback in the desert. Honestly I don’t know what so special about these horses, but they did attract a large..no, make that a really large, crowd and trust me.. I’ve never seen horses like them before.

Oh, and a word of caution.. when you arrive there, ensure that your valuables are locked away safely, before going for the festival.

Enjoy your trip there!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home